Child Development: Parenting
Parenting on a Budget
Having a child does not have to break your bank. Here are a few tips to make your dollar go further.
- Shop Secondhand - baby and children's clothing and toys are often quickly grown out of, so at op shops, thrift shops or secondhand stores you can often find gear in very good condition for only a fraction of the new price.
- Make your own games - do as your grandparent did, and make do with what is around you. A child will usually be happy with whatever toys you can muster, such as old boxes, sock puppets. Some paper and colored pencils can keep some kids entertained for a while.
- Sell as they grow out of things - just as you bought some of the children's gear second hand, you can use the same resources to sell the items back into the market.
- Find Free Entertainment - if you look around you are sure to find free things to do, such as story time at the library, shopping mall appearances and sporting events. You can go canoeing, bush walking or cycling together.
- Don't keep up with the Jones's - your kids do not need all the latest gadgets and toys, it may be better for them to do without some things and learn that they cannot always get what they want.