Child Development pages
Tips for Women in Labor
Some things you can do
- The early stages can take many hours. Don't rush to the hospital as soon as you feel a contraction - stay relaxed in a safe environment and save your mental and physical energy.
- Relax between the contractions. Save your energy for when you need it.
- Eat a light meal during the pre-labor period and continue to maintain your fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Keep a positive frame of mind. Focus on the positives - each contraction brings you closer to the birth of your baby.
- You cannot avoid the pain. Understanding the birth process and accepting labor as a natural and normal process is the first step towards pain management.
- Have confidence in yourself and trust your instincts.
- Wear a comfortable T-Shirt or nightie, and bring other items to make yourself feel more relaxed.
- Let go of you inhibitions - there is no need to be polite. If you need to, yell out.
- Maintain flexibility, know your options and keep communicating with the midwife or doctor.