Child Development pages
Tips for Labor Support People
The support person or labor coach can play a small or large part in the labor process, depending on your preference and the policy of the birthing suite. Here are some tips for that support person.
Some things a support person can do for you
- massage your back, hold your hand, wipe your brow
- get you a drink if you are thirsty, or some food to eat
- place cool face washers on your forehead or a hot pack on your back
- support you in upright & active positions
- help to make you physically comfortable
- encourage your breathing techniques
- offer emotional support
- provide positive encouragement, lots of praise
- don't chat unnecessarily - keep focused on the job at hand
- Don't take things personally - going through labor can be an emotional rollercoaster and
- just be there!